Podikizhi (also called Choorna Pinda Sweda) is the Ayurvedic technique of fomentation in which cotton bags filled with a hot a mixture of herbs are used.
Podi means powder and Kizhi means a bag.
Podikizhi is the common type of Ayurvedic massage technique that helps in alleviating pain and reduces swelling occurred due to arthritis, muscular spasm and rheumatism.
1. Take the main powder ingredient and other ingredients like curcuma, rock salt, garlic, lemon (quantity and ingredients are selected individually)
2. Herbs are mildly heated in a pan with a little oil.
3. After 5 minutes, your herbal poultice is ready to put in cotton cloths to make small bags.
4. When the temperature of bags are in a tolerable range, dip the poultice in a little oil and apply the bags over the affected parts of the body to reduce pain.
5. Same temperature is maintained in the poultice by interchanging them.
o Poultice should have a tolerable heat level throughout the procedure.
o Apply bags and do massage simultaneously.
o Advice the client to take a hot water bath after the Podikizhi.
4. Rheumatoid Arthritis
5. Muscular spasm, muscular pain or Muscular sprain and stiffness
6. Swelling on joints due to osteoarthritis of other disease
7. Paralysis and other neurological diseases
8. Post trauma or sports injury rehabilitation
45 to 60 minutes